Our Commitment to Accessibility
Statement of Organizational Commitment
Severn Lodge is committed to being responsive to the needs of all its guests and staff in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to recognize the diverse needs of all guests and staff and respond by striving to provide goods, services and facilities that are accessible to all and comply with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity. As an employer, and a provider of goods and services, Severn Lodge is committed to ensuring its goods and services are provided in an accessible manner. Severn Lodge believes in accessibility for all and will strive to meet the accessibility needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner.
Severn Lodge will promote accessibility by ensuring that compliance is met for all regulations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. To ensure timelines are considered, Severn Lodge will establish a multi-year accessibility plan. This plan will outline our strategy to prevent and remove barriers to people with disabilities and will be reviewed at least once every five years. Severn Lodge will also prepare an annual status report on the progress taken to implement our multi-year accessibility plan. The status reports and multi-year accessibility plan will be posted on the Severn Lodge website and will be available in alternate formats, upon request, as soon as is practical.
All Severn Lodge employees will be trained in accordance with the regulations outlined under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. The training will include:
- An overview of the Act, other Ontario accessibility standards and all aspects of the Ontario Human Rights Code as it pertains to people with disabilities.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities, (As outlined in our policy?)
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or the assistance of a support person, (As outlined in our policy and procedures?)
- How to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with the provision of goods or services or facilities to a person with a disability.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing the provider’s goods, services, or facilities.
Training will be provided to all Severn Lodge staff as soon as possible after being hired. Training will also be provided in a timely manner after any changes are made to the policies. Severn Lodge will maintain records, which will note the details of the training provided, as well as the name of the person and date the training was completed.
Severn Lodge allows people with disabilities to use their own personal assistive devices when accessing our goods, services and facilities. We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods, services or facilities.
Severn Lodge will provide alternate formats of information upon request in a timely manner and ensure the cost is no more than the regular cost provided to others if applicable. All alternate formats of communication will consider the individual needs of a person with a disability. Alternate formats can be requested by:
- Visiting Severn Lodge’s website Accessibility Page and submitting a request under Requests for Accessible Formats.
- Contacting Severn Lodge at 1-800-461-5817 and submitting a request.
Severn Lodge will ensure that all emergency procedures, plans and public safety information will be made available to the public and will provide accessible formats in a timely manner upon request.
Severn Lodge welcomes people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are permitted on all parts of our premises that are open to the public.
If staff cannot easily identify Service animals are identified in the following ways:
- It should be readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for the reasons relating to their disability; or
- A letter from a regulated health professional confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to their disability.
Severn Lodge will allow service animals into all on premises facilities. Service animals will be allowed to accompany a person with a disability to allow them to access facilities and services. If a service animal is excluded from the premise an explanation will be provided and we will ensure that other measures are available to enable the person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from our goods or services.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. Standard Severn Lodge fees will be charged to the support person. Severn Lodge reserves the right to request the person with a disability be accompanied by a support person, if it is considered necessary to protect the health and safety of the person with a disability or others on the premises and there are no reasonable alternatives available.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
If a temporary disruption of service is planned, Severn Lodge will provide notice of the disruption promptly. The notice must:
- Include a detailed reason for the disruption.
- The anticipated length of the disruption of service.
- If alternate facilities or services are available, and details on where they can be accessed.
Notice will be given by posting the information in a conspicuous place on premises as well as by posting it on the Severn Lodge website. If Severn Lodge’s website should expect a temporary service disruption, advance notice, if possible, will be provided on the website.
Severn Lodge welcomes feedback from our guests, staff, and members of the public relating to the accessible services provided at Severn Lodge as well as on the feedback process itself. All parties are encouraged to submit feedback in one of these manners; directly to the employee or Department involved in the service, by phone, through email or through our online comment card. All feedback will be directed to the General Manager and will be responded to in a timely manner.
If an employee receives feedback from a guest, they should:
- Notify their manager or General Manager of Severn Lodge.
- The information to be provided by the member of the public should include their personal contact information, the date, a description of the complaint, and the actions the member of the public requests to resolve the complaint.
- Severn Lodge will attempt to resolve the complaint in a timely manner and contact the member of the public once a resolution has been reached.
- The response from management should include: an explanation of how we will implement the suggestion, a response indicating further investigation or an explanation as to why we are unable to implement the suggestion.
For all other forms of communication
- Submitting feedback over the phone can be made at 1-800-461-5817.
- Submitting feedback by email can be made at [email protected]
- Visiting the Severn Lodge website Accessibility Page and submitting the Feedback Form.
- Or writing a letter to Severn Lodge, 116 Gloucester Trail, Port Severn ON L0K1S0
Any requests for an alternate format of the Feedback Form should be done through either phone or email. All feedback and any resolutions will be recorded by the General Manager of Severn Lodge.
Notice of Availability of Documents
Severn Lodge will provide alternate formats of information to members of the public upon request. Requested documents will be provided in a timely manner and at the cost of Severn Lodge, not the public requestor. Severn Lodge will only provide alternate formats for documents that we produce.
Design of Public Spaces
Severn Lodge is committed to ensuring that accessibility is considered in all aspects of the built environment. Severn Lodge will comply with the Design of Public Spaces Standards when constructing and redeveloping public spaces.
Changes to Existing Policies
Any policies of Severn Lodge that do not respect and promote the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for all people with disabilities will be modified and removed.
This document is publicly available. Accessible formats are available upon request.